Accelerating the Southeast Asian Energy Transformation
13 August 2020
The ASEAN Centre for Energy (ACE) and the International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA) organised a virtual webinar promoting dialogue among Governments, development partners and regional and multilateral institutions on the regional and national perspectives for accelerating energy transformation in the ASEAN region.
Based on the global and ASEAN specific findings of IRENA’s Global Renewables Outlook 2020 and Power Generation Cost 2019 report, the event provided a regional platform for the discussion on the ongoing efforts to accelerate the region’s energy transformation and deep decarbonization while exploring enhanced collaboration and synergies among key regional stakeholders. The webinar also considered actions needed to advance a transformation of the energy systems in Southeast Asia.
The event will took place on Thursday, 13 August 2020, 14.00 (GMT+7/BKK/JKT Time), and discussed:
1. Key GRO and Renewable Power Generation Cost findings, providing an overview of results from energy scenarios, socio-economic analysis and renewable power generation cost trend
2. Socio-economic footprint of the energy transformation.
3. Region-specific findings of the GRO for the ASEAN member countries.
4. Perspectives from regional leaders in energy transformation and discussion of insights from GRO 2020 and how can the region accelerate the deep decarbonization process.
- Gauri Singh, Deputy Director General, International Renewable Energy Agency
- Dr. Nuki Agya Utama, Executive Director, ASEAN Centre for Energy
- Ken O’Flaherty, UK COP 26 Ambassador for Asia Pacific and South Asia
- Ricardo Gorini, Senior Programme Officer, Renewable Energy Roadmap, IRENA
- Michael Renner, Programme Officer, Policy, IRENA
- Michael Taylor, Senior Analyst, Renewable Energy Cost Status and Outlook, IRENA
- Dr. Tharinya Supasa, Senior Officer of Energy Policy Planning and Modelling, ASEAN Centre for Energy
- Jonathan Goh, Director of External Relations, Energy Market Authority, Singapore
- Nguyen Hoang Linh, Senior Expert, Planning Division, Electricity and Renewable energy Authority, Ministry of Industry and Trade, Vietnam
- Dr. Hariyanto, Director, Energy Conservation, Ministry of Energy and Mineral Resources, Indonesia
- Michael Williamson, Chief, Sustainable Energy development Section, UNESCAP
- Prof. Sulaiman Shaari, Secretary General, Asian Photovoltaic Industry Association
- Liming Qiao, Asia Director, Global Wind Energy Council
Moderator: Dr Hoyyen Chan, Senior Officer of Sustainable Energy, Renewable Energy, and Energy Efficiency, ASEAN Centre for Energy
* The designations employed and the presentation of materials herein do not imply the expression of any opinion whatsoever on the part of the International Renewable Energy Agency concerning the legal status of any country, territory, city or area or of its authorities, or concerning the delimitation of its frontiers or boundaries.